Sunday, July 19, 2009

Chapter Twelve: Don’t Wanna Be Torn

“Kevin, are you up?” Charlotte knocked on the door of his bedroom as she whispered to him in the darkness.

“For you, I could be. Come on in. But leave the light off.” Charlotte walked in using her cell phone light to guide her. Kevin’s room wasn’t a mess but it wasn’t Nick’s room. There was still a chance for her to get hurt. And when Charlotte was around, that chance doubled. “ Okay, now what’s wrong that you needed to talk at,” he paused to look at the clock, “ three thirteen in the morning. Especially since we just got home from a wedding an hour ago?”

“Okay, so you know how I told you that Joe ended it with me so I could be with Nick?”

“Of course. And I’m happy for you.”

“Don’t be just yet. I don’t know if I’m okay with it. I really liked Joe. And I still kinda do. I don’t know if I want it to be over between us.” She began to quietly weep. Kevin pulled her in to a hug.

“So just tell Joe exactly what you told me.”

“Thing is, I already told Nick we could be together.” Her sobs were now becoming louder and had the power to wake a log, so to speak.

“Seems we’ve got a problem on our hands. Hmm, how to fix this. Oh I’ve got it. Tell Nick. He’ll understand.”

“Kevin, I don’t wanna hurt him. I have feelings for the both of them. I’m so torn.”

“Well, if my vote counts, I vote for Nick.”

“Kev, you can’t vote against one of your brothers for a different brother!” She swung a pillow at him sending him off the bed and onto the floor with a loud thunk. “But while you’re down there, can I ask why Nick?”

“Because I see the way you look at each other. To me, it’s right. But you’re still sixteen. In my book, you should be with a few wrong ones before the right one. So maybe for now Joe’s right. I vote for Joe now.”

“You can’t just go changing your vote.”

“I believe I just did.”

Time for me to fly
Time for me to soar
Time for me to open up my heart and knock on heavens door
Time for me to live It's time for me to sing Time for me to lay
down all my worries and I'll spread my wings Time for me to fly


The ring of Charlotte’s phone began blaring. Caller ID: SIERRA McCARTNEY

“Hello, you’ve reached the answering machine of Charlotte Skye. It’s three AM and she’s sleeping like a normal person so Sierra you’re dead.”
Charlotte could hear Sierra whispering to someone, obviously Jesse.

“She has a personalized voicemail for me. How creative.”

“SIERRA! It was me, stupid!”

“I’m gone for a week and you’re already calling me names. Oh. Oh, Charlotte, it’s you.”

“Yes, and like I said it’s also three AM.”

“Oh shoot. I forgot about the time difference. It’s eleven in the morning here. I just called to tell you about my amazing honeymoon.”

“Well make it snappy, I’m in the middle of a semi-crisis.”

“Well let’s just say the decision to wait until marriage was the right one because it was AH-MAZING! He’s so good. We haven't left the room once.” Charlotte could hear Sierra smiling through the phone. Then Jesse’s voice came in from the background.

“Please don’t go into details about our sex life with my sixteen year old cousin. Please.”

“Don’t worry sweetheart, I’m only saying good things.”

“Well I don’t want you saying anything.” At that point Sierra began laughing, probably from being tickled.

“Char, I gotta go. Maybe I’ll call you back. But I’ll most likely be busy. If you catch my drift.”

“Yeah, I got it. Thanks. Don’t call back. Please. I’m with Jesse on this one.” But by then, the line was already dead.

"Sorry about that Kevin." By now Kevin was back on the bed and sleeping. Charlotte was too tired herself to go back to her own room and she knew Kevin wouldn't mind if she crashed in his room. She layed her head on the pillow and was out faster than she'd fallen for....

No comments:

Post a Comment