Sunday, July 19, 2009

Chapter Six: A Place To Think.

Sitting on the bus, watching television, I'm interrupted by the boys.

"CHARLOTTE SKYE!" Joe screams as he sits on top of me.

"Joseph Adam! Get off of me." He did as I asked and then I continued, "what do you want?"

"You have to be in our youtube video."

"Okay."

The video was of Joe unleashing his inner nerd and using his library card to check me out. We uploaded it onto youtube and within two hours we had 300,000 views.

At our show that night Joe seemed super out of it.

After the show.

I went to Joe's bunk and pulled back the curtain. He was laying there, texting, shirtless. Did it just get hot in here? Most likely he was texting Camilla.

"What's wrong, Joe?"

"Nothing, why?"

"You're a horrible liar, Joseph. You were so out of it tonight."

"Okay, well. I met someone new."

"What about Camilla?"

"I broke up with her before the show."

"Who's the new girl?"

"I don't want to say."

"Pweaseee?" I said putting on my saddest face.

"Now isn't the time."

"Alright." I said walking away, defeated.

We had another show at the same venue the next night so our bus would stay in the parking lot, guarded all night.

"Hey Nick." I said when I found him in the back room.

"Hi."

"What're you doing?"

"Nothing. Hey, I have an idea. Follow me." He ran out of the bus and I followed like I'd been told.

"Nick, where are you?" I said when I got off the bus. It was pitch black out and I couldn't see Nick anywhere.

No answer.

"Nick this isn't funny. You're scaring me."

Again, no answer.

I was about to go inside and tell everyone Nick was missing when I heard something.

"Pssttt, Charlie." There it was again. I couldn't tell which direction it had come from.

"Look up already!" The voice was getting angry. I did, and saw Nick sitting atop the bus.

"Wanna join?" He raised an eyebrow and I couldn't help but to laugh.

"How do I get up there?"

"There's a ladder at the back."

I went around to the back of the bus and climbed the ladder. I walked cautiously along the top of the bus, afraid it would begin to move at any moment. After what seemed like a mile walk, I arrived where Nick was sitting.

"Can I sit?" I joked.

"Sorry, seats taken."

"Well when somebody comes to claim it, they can have it. But until then, I think I'll plop down."

Nick just laughed.

I turned to Nick, raised an eyebrow and asked seriously, "you come here often?"

This caused Nick to burst out laughing even more.

"But really, I take it you like to hang out here."

"Kinda. I love coming up here and just looking at the stars and it's a great place to think."

"What about?"

"Well for one, this. The fame, how fast it's all happening."

"Yeah, it feels like just yesterday I didn't even dream I'd be here."

"Yeah, Charlie, can I tell you something?"

"Of course."

"I'm glad you're here with us. I wouldn't want it to be anyone else. You're my best friend."

"Nick, I'm so happy to be here with you. And you're my best friend too. I feel like I can tell you anything without being judged and you'll never think less of me."

We sat in silence for at least fifteen minutes, just looking at the stars.

"It's so beautiful." I spoke.

"What is?"

"The night, the stars, everything."

I truly enjoyed just sitting here with Nick, as friends. It was so careless and stress free.

I opened my eyes but quickly shut them when the light began to burn them.

"Nick, wake up!" I said, shaking him.

"What?" He asked confused as to why I was waking him.

"We must've fallen asleep up here."

"Oh crap, we should get inside before they notice we're missing."

We climbed down and tiptoed quietly onto the bus.

"Shh, someone's awake." I said when I heard the television on in the back room. Nick went to check who it was. But then the bathroom door opened behind us.

"Were ya comin from?" I heard asked, in Joe's voice.

"Nick and I just went for a walk." I said nonchalantly.

"You're wearing the same clothes you wore yesterday."

"Uh, well yeah, you know..." I tried to come up with an excuse.

"Save it. I know you guys were on the roof.

"So is now the time to tell me?" I said changing the subject.

"No Charlotte, don't worry, when it is you'll be the first to know."

I walked to the back room where Nick had gone before me.

"Has Joe said anything to you about this mystery girl?" I asked as I took a seat next to him on the couch.

"Mm, not that I recall."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"We need to find out who she is."

"Why does it matter?"

"I'm just curious."

"Curious? Or jealous?"

"I'm definitely not jealous."

"Mhm, sure, whatever you say."

No comments:

Post a Comment