Sunday, July 19, 2009

Chapter Three: So you know each other?

Seasons are changing and waves are crashing and stars are falling all for us.
My phone began to ring.

"Helloooo?" I answered.

"Hey Charlie."

"Oh, hi Nick."

"What's up?"

"Nothing, just catching up on some of my gossip reading."

"Tell me you read Perez Hilton."

"Guilty."

"Joe's addicted to that garbage."

"It is so not garbage. But you didn't call to talk about this, so what's up?"

"Well I'm going to put you on speaker. We have something to say."

"Okay?"

"THANK YOU CHARLIE!!!!!!!" They all yelled.

I quickly pulled the phone away from my ear. Good thing it's not like I wanted to be able to hear.

"It was nothing."

"But you believe in us and that's all we can ask." Nick said in a low tone.

"Uh guys, I have to go. The rents are beeping in."

"Bye Charlie."

Once they hung up I answered my parents.

"Hi mom. Hi dad."

"Hello sweetheart." They both said over the speakerphone.

"How's Texas?"

"Lovely dear. What have you and Jesse been up to?"

"Well he introduced me to some new people."

"That's nice honey. Who are they?"

"Kevin, Joe and Nick Jonas."

"Would their parents happen to be Denise and Paul?" My father asked.

"Yes, actually. How'd you know?"

"I'll explain it some other time. We love you. See you in two weeks."

"Okay, love ya."

My parents know the Jonases. What a small world. I wonder how. Maybe I could ask Denise when I see her.

I decided to take it easy for the rest of the night. Actually, it turned out to be the rest of the week. I came down with a nasty cold and was too lazy to do anything. But then three days before my parents got home I got a call.

"Hello?"

"Hey Charlie."

"Hi Joe."

"Do you and Jesse wanna come bowling with me and the family?"

"I'll ask, hold on." I put my phone on my bed and raced to ask Jesse. No surprise, I found him in the kitchen.

"Wanna go bowling with the Jonases?"

"Sure why not."

I ran back upstairs and got back on the phone. Joe was still there but he was quietly singing to himself. I listened for a minute before I spoke.

"Joe we'd love to."

"Great, we'll pick you up in an hour. See you then."

"Bye."

I picked a purple Metro Station shirt, a black cardigan and Sass and Bide denim shorts. Some black converses to top it off and I was good to go.

About twenty minutes later a black SUV pulled up. Joe came to the door to get us. "Let's go Jesse." I yelled as Joe pulled me outside. Jesse locked the door and ran out after us.

"Hi everyone." I said as I climbed into the way back.

Denise and Paul were in the front, Nick, Kevin and Jesse in the middle, and Joe and me in the back. I guess Frankie wouldn't be joining today.

As I sat, staring out the window, my hand resting on the seat, I couldn't help but thinking how much I love spending time with this family. Suddenly, I felt something on my hand. I turned to see Joe's hand resting on mine. I smiled and couldn't help but to blush. We pulled up to PINZ and went inside. My lane was me, Nick and Joe. The other was Denise, Paul, Kevin and Jesse. We played the first game and Nick beat me by twelve points. And I beat Joe by another fourteen.

"Who's up for a second game?" Paul asked.

"I think I'll sit this one out. Actually Denise, I was hoping I could talk to you."

"Okay, you boys play this game."

Denise and I took a seat at the table by our lanes.

"So what's on your mind Charlie?"

"Well I was talking to my dad the other day and he seemed to know you when I mentioned the name Jonas. I was just wondering how."

"What did you say your last name was Charlie?"

"Calderbrooke."

"Devin is your father, isn't he?"

"Yes."

"Paul and your father were best friends in high school. Same with your mother and me. But after you and Nicholas were born we slowly drifted."

"Well maybe we can all get together once they get back."

"That's a wonderful idea."

"I'll talk to them when they get home."

By the time Denise and I were done talking the second game was already over. On the ride home I was next to Joe in the back again. I fought the urges to just reach over and grab his hand.

They dropped us off at three and Jesse and I watched Real World reruns all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment