Sunday, July 19, 2009

Chapter Four: Our Future's Coming True.

Fast Forward: Two Years.

Ring Ring

"Hello." I answered my best friend Nicholas' call.

"Charlie." Nick's voice shook. Something was wrong. Was he crying?

"Nick, oh my goodness. What's wrong! Is everyone okay?"

"Our label dropped us." I could hear him fighting back more tears.

"Oh, Nick I'm so sorry. It's probably for the best. Things will work out."

"I know. But in my gut I felt like this was our big break. And now it's over before it even started."

"Charlotte, come downstairs." My father asked through the intercom.

Let's get you up to speed. I had successfully reunited my parents and the Jonases. Nick, Joe, Kevin and I, oh and of course Tank, had become nothing short of a family. The spark between Joe and I was still there, but we tried to refrain from acting on our feelings, as to not cause awkwardness. Nick and Tate tried dating one time when my family and the Jonases visited Texas. But Tate blew it by bringing along her friends. Way to go Tate.

"Uh Nick, I hace to go. But call me if you still want to talk later. Keep your head up kiddo."

"Thanks Charlie."

I went downstairs to see what my father could possibly want from me. I found him downstairs in his office.

"Yes Faja?" I said, quoting Austin Powers.

"Just wanted to know if you wanted Chinese food."

"Uh, yeah sure. Dad, can I talk to you about something?" I said nervously, sitting in one of the leather chairs in front of his desk. I had gotten an idea but I didn't know if it would work.

"Of course." He turned from his computer to look at me.

"Well Kevin, Joe and Nick got dropped from their label and I was wondering if you could give them a chance." I shut my eyes and began to pray.

"Honey, I've never heard them play."

"Hold that thought." I ran upstairs, tripping only once, and then returned, CD in hand. I put it into his CD player and pressed play on 7:05.

"Is this how they sound live."

"Yes, well not anymore. Their voices changed, but they're even better now."

"I'll think about it. Leave the CD here."

"Thanks dad."

"Of course. BTW, do they write this themselves?"

"Actually, yes."

-A week later.-

Nick's POV

Eleven AM, hungover with sadness, and someone's ringing the doorbell. Honestly people? I opened it to see Charlie and her father at the door.

"Hi Charlie, Devin. Come on in."

"Where are your parents Nick? I'd like to speak with them."

"Hold on."

"Get Joe and Kevin, too." He called after me.

I called my parents, Joe and Kevin from the basement. When they got upstairs we all sat around the dining room table.

"Devin, is something wrong?" My mother asked.

"No, somethings right actually."

"What are you talking about?"

Devin pulled out a stack of papers.

"What is that?" My father seemed so confused. Almost as much as my brothers and I.

"Well it could be your sons' record deal."

"What!"
"Oh my goodness!"
"No way!"

"On one condition."

"What is it?" I asked.

"I need to hear you play, live. If you're good, you have a deal."

"My brothers and I looked to my parents.

"Please mommy?" Joe asked.

"Of course, it's your dream. Go for it."

"Thank you a million times!"

My brothers and I led Devin and Charlie to the music room. Kevin and I picked up our guitars and took seats on the couch. Joe sat on the arm. We all looked to Devin.

"Whenever you're ready."

Hello beautiful
How's it going?
I hear it's wonderful in California
I've been missing you
It's true...

But tonight
I'm gonna fly
Yeah tonight
I'm gonna fly

'Cause I could go across the world,
And see everything
And never be satisfied
If I couldn't see those eyes

Hello beautiful
It's been a long time
Since my phone's rung
And you been on that line
I've been missing you
It's true

But tonight
I'm gonna fly
Yeah tonight
I'm gonna fly
Oh yeah

'Cause I could go across the world,
and see everything
And never be satisfied
If I couldn't see those eyes


Charlie and Devin turned to each other and made a huddle.

"Well boys, you've got a deal."

Kevin, Joe and I all began to jump on the couches. Devin went to sit with our parents to finalize everything.

"Charlie, what's wrong?" I said as I noticed her sitting there

"Don't forget me when you're big rockstars. Stay humble. Sta true to yourselves. Don't compromise your morals. And don't sell out."

"Always." Joe said.

"Boys." My mother called us. We went into the dining room to sign ourselves to be big hits.

Charlie's POV

I stayed in the music room as the boys rushed to sign their little lives away. I sat down at the piano. I was a closet musician. I only played when I was alone.

Say you're sorry
That face of an angel comes out
Just when you need it to
As I pace back and forth all this time
'Cause I honestly believed in you
Holding on,
The days drag on
Stupid girl
I should have known, I should have known

That I'm not a princess
This ain't a fairytale
I'm not the one you'll sweep off her feet
Lead her up the stairwell
This ain't Hollywood,
This is a small town
I was a dreamer before you went and let me down
Now its too late for you and your White Horse,
To come around.

Baby I was naive,
Got lost in your eyes
I never really had a chance.
My mistake I didn't know to be in love you had to fight to have the upper hand.
I had so many dreams about you and me.
Happy endings
Now I know

I'm not a princess
This ain't a fairytale
I'm not the one you'll sweep off her feet
Lead her up the stairwell
This ain't Hollywood,
This is a small town
I was a dreamer before you went and let me down
Now its too late for you and your White Horse,
To come around.

And there you are on your knees
Begging for forgiveness,
Begging for me
Just like I always wanted,
But I'm so sorry

Cause I'm not your princess
This ain't our fairytale
I'm gonna find someone, someday
Who might actually treat me well.
This is a big world,
That was a small town
There in my rear view mirror,
Disappearing now.
And it's too late for you and your White Horse
Now its too late for you and your White Horse
To catch me now.

Oh whoa whoa whoa-oh
Try and catch me now
Oh
It's too late
To catch me now.


"You're not half bad." I turned to see Nick, Joe, Kevin, Denise, Paul and my father all standing in the doorway.

"Thanks." I said meekly.

We left the Jonas house and on the ride home my dad broke the awkward silence that had set in.

"Charlotte, you're amazing. Why didn't you tell me you play?"

"I don't know."

"Would you like to pursue music Charlotte?"

"Honestly, it's my dream."

"You're going to be a big star."

"You think so?"

"It's my job to know so."

That night, I too was signed to Hollywood Records.

The next six months were all work and no play for the boys and me. We were constantly recording. But at least we still got to spend time together. The boys CD was set to release November 12th, and mine, December 19th. The boys and I were stoked.

Finally came the day of the boys CD release. We went to the Virgin Records store in Time Square because New York was where we happened to be at the time. We were performing small shows, trying to get new fans. By the time my CD was released we had become overnight sensations. We were blowing up and honestly, it terrified me.

Come February, we were household names. But with fame and fortune, February also brought tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment